Monday, May 16, 2005

Dean Does it Again

Will Howard Dean never learn?

The Boston Globe reports that DNC Chair Dean, speaking at the Massachusetts Democratic convention in Boston on Saturday, said Tom DeLay "ought to go back to Houston where he can serve his jail sentence."

I'm no fan of Tom DeLay - I have even called for his resignation as Majority Leader, because I believe that he has become a distraction to the Republican Party and is causing us more harm than good. But Dean's comments were inappropriate.

Rep. Barney Frank, also no fan of Tom DeLay, came to his defense in an interview at the convention immediately after Dean's speech, says the Globe. ''That's just wrong. I think Howard Dean was out of line talking about DeLay. The man has not been indicted. I don't like him, I disagree with some of what he does, but I don't think you, in a political speech, talk about a man as a criminal or his jail sentence."

I am all for telling it like it is, but if Dean and the Democrats are really serious about making inroads into Republican support bases, this kind of unhelpful and destructive language is going to have to stop.

5 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Alan Stewart Carl said...

By all accounts, Dean was once a DLC type moderate. But he has been so entirely seduced by the powers of demagoguery that I can't imagine he'll do anything but further diminish support for Democrats. He feeds right into the stereotype of the unhinged liberal.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Buttercup and JOHN-43 said...

like the blog ;)))))

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Heiuan said...

You would've figured that he would have learned that intemperance is the short ride to obscurity.

I like Mr. Dean, I really do. I identify very strongly with the social liberal/fiscal conservative mantra that he espouses.

I just wish that this smart man would learn to engage his brain before his mouth.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you would prefer Dean start making threats against Judge's lives? Or maybe at least he could sympathize with people who murder so-called activist judges.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger JBD said...

No, lazlo, I wouldn't prefer that at all. I have just as much a problem with those who attack judges, and have said so. See here, here, etc.

Overheated and unnecessary rhetoric is just as repugnant to me if it comes from the right as if it comes from the left.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home