Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Kerry's Shadow Speech

John Kerry has an op/ed in today's New York Times laying out the case for what President Bush should say about Iraq when he addresses the nation later tonight. It may be because I need sleep, but I have to confess, I can't find anything in there that doesn't make sense. In fact, many of the points are similar to those I made on Sunday. Read Kerry's piece over, let me know what you think.

[Update: Alright I've read Kerry's column again, in the light of day, and it still seems to be almost right on target with what the American people need to hear from their president. I agree wholeheartedly with the comments below: where the heck was this speech last October? -- 8:17 a.m.]

4 Comments:

At 3:01 AM, Blogger "A Brown" said...

Mr. Senator, just a thought but shouldn't you have said this when you ran for President? You remember last year, you traveled around the country and gave a lot of speeches? Does any of this ring a bell? Maybe you could have said something like this, offered a plan for winning the war? You know, having a platform beyond “I fought in Vietnam.” People like it when you can back up saying “I have a plan” by having an actual plan. Just saying.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger cakreiz said...

Agreed, a. Sen. Kerry tried to have it both ways- placating his party's anti-war, Dean base while playing pragmatist for those of us who supported the war. Had he emphasized the latter, he would've shaken the kos wing of the party. So we got "wrong war, wrong place, wrong time" coupled with "I have a plan". I always thought Bush's occupation strategy was vulnerable to a Kerry right flank. But that would've tactitly endorsed the war effort- something Kerry wouldn't do.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Charles Amico said...

I also think along the lines of Kerry, however, I think the President should demand a plan from Rumsfeld rather than from Kerry. I wrote this on my Nlog as well when Sunday Rumsfeld was on Meet The Press.
See http://cdiamico.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on a, cakreiz. The loony left definitely had their go. It seemed to me that when Kerry wasn't pandering, he actually had reasonable centrist views, although I'm not sure anyone knows why he voted against the first Iraq war, him included.
He did have an op-ed I like in the wall street journal about his economic policy, but if anything, the moral of the last election was, "It's Iraq, stupid."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home