Sunday, July 03, 2005

Hagel: "I Will Ask the Tough Questions"

As Phil S. has pointed out in the comments, Senator Hagel had an excellent appearance on "Meet the Press" this morning. I wanted to wait for the video clip to come up before I discussed it, and Dem Bloggers has obliged - you can watch the segment here - and do watch it, if you can. He goes into great depth about the state of things in Iraq, from the state of the insurgency to the status of the coalition and other benchmarks.

Here's the key quote: "As long as I'm a United States Senator, I will do everything I can to make sure that we have a policy worthy of these brave young men and women who are sacrificing their lives and doing the things that they do for this country. I don't think that policy is there today, and ... however long it takes, I will ask the tough questions, I will provide alternatives and solutions. I owe it to the people, I owe it to the country ... I don't apologize for questioning, that's part of my job, and I will stand on my record against anyone to ask those tough questions."

When he was in Vietnam, Hagel said, Congress was "interestingly silent and absent in asking the tough questions," and he's not going to take that route.

Good for him. Keep it up, Senator.

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger The Ivory Tower said...

In the end I am sure you will find that it is the same old rhetoric "promise them anything but give the Arpege" syndrome. It would be a far better nation if we could this Fourth get rid of all the idiots that have come to populate Washinton D,C. (Republican,Democrat and Independent alike) and start with a clean slate. Maybe then we could get back to the kind of fundementals that the founders had in mind and eradicate the lunacy that is rampant in government today.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Mark said...

"As long as I'm a United States Senator, I will do everything I can to make sure that we have a policy worthy of these brave young men and women who are sacrificing their lives and doing the things that they do for this country. Does "everything" include making statements that Al-Jezeera will pick up and publish and then use against us to motivate the insurgents?

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Ma Tiny said...

hagel's positioning himself to take credit for ending this war. dems have been talking about all this forever, of course, but the truth only counts when a republican says it.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger JBD said...

Jami, feel free to disagree with Mark, but please refrain from using the vulgar language. This is a family-friendly blog. You (and I) may disagree what what he says, but his thoughts are welcome here just as yours are.

Mark, if Chuck Hagel had been saying the same things since the war began, we might not have the insurgency we have to deal with today. Chuck Hagel's not motivating the insurgents, he's being honest with the American people about the state of things in Iraq. I wish the Administration was saying the same things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home