Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Few Good Links

Sorry for the slow-posting, it's been busy and yesterday all Google sites were on strike for me so when I finally did have time to write, I couldn't. Anyway, here are some links I've read lately that I thought might be of interest:

- In today's New York Times, it sounds to me like the Administration's shenanigans continue on the detainee treatment bill; there were some mysterious "technical changes" made over the weekend that seem a little fishy.

- John Bolton's confirmation to as UN Ambassador is dead ... again. Steve Clemons at The Washington Note - by far the greatest and most effective spokesman for the Bolton opposition since day one - has the scoop. Clemons had another great post recently too, on Linc Chafee's refusal to confirm Bolton and the need for more strong centrists of both parties in the Senate.

- Over at Maverick Views (awhile ago, sorry), Alan discusses the "vital center", and concludes there's no such thing. This is a really excellent post about a topic that I find it hard to get my head around. Don't miss this one. Amba has a followup which I also recommend.

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Meras said...

Thanks, for the links:)!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger WeekendPundit said...

"If centrism is just a desire for moderation, then so be it. Centrists should join one party or the other and work to moderate it."

Nicely put, and I agree. Centrists seem to be hoping for a third party movement or something to unite them all. Moderates just want to keep the radicals on either side under control within the party.

That having been said, sometimes a moderate's best option to force change within his party is to threaten to abandon it. It's why I'm backing Kinky Friedman for Texas governor, and why so many are supporting Joe Leiberman for the Senate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home