Friday, June 17, 2005

A Few Good Reads

Some links for what I hope is a pleasant Friday afternoon for everyone:

- Steve Clemons reports on some new Bolton "rumblings". He notes that McCain has been trying to work out a deal on documents requests, but is now "frustrated with White House intransigence."

- From the Staunton (VA) News Leader, this terrific editorial calling Republican gubernatorial candidate Jerry Kilgore "the artless dodger" for refusing (and in a rather arrogant fashion) to debate independent Russ Potts along with Democrat Tim Kaine. Kilgore stated earlier this week that he wouldn't debate Potts because he wants "voters to get a view of the candidates that can actually win this election." Potts' response, appropriately, was "the citizens decide who wins elections." The News Leader takes Kilgore to task hard, saying he "wants to dodge hard questions about real issues. His campaign is all about control, delivering scripted messages, and staying within a personal comfort zone. Shutting Sen. Russ Potts out of debates is just more of the same." I agree. Let him debate, Mr. Kilgore. What are you afraid of? More debate articles here.

- Joe Gandelman at The Moderate Voice has an excellent post about the Durbin/White House spat.

- PoliticalWire reports that the White House and FL Gov. Jeb Bush are encouraging the Speaker of Florida's state House to challenge Rep. Katherine Harris in a Republican primary for next year's Senate race. What an interesting idea, keeping one of the most polarizing figures in American politics out of the spotlight! Smart politics for the Bush boys too, which has been in short supply lately.

- The Virtual March to Stop Global Warming made its fifth stop this week, at Cascabel, Arizona. Read about the drought potential in that area of the country if action's not taken to combat climate change. You can also join the march by signing up here.

- Speaking of smart politics and the Bush boys, check out Joe Weedon at The Yellow Line about Jeb's renewed involvement in the Schiavo case. Ugh.

- Bill Swann at Centerfield uses Danforth's column from this morning as a springboard with "Moderate Christian Soldiers in the Land of the Religious Right," which is an excellent personal look at the religious/political issues we face today.

- Stygius covers a reported attempt by the White House to make real progress on climate change at next month's G-8 summit in Scotland.

5 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Kilgore stated earlier this week that he wouldn't debate Potts because he wants "voters to get a view of the candidates that can actually win this election.""

Not only is Kilgore showing his arrogance, but he's basically said that it is possible for Kaine to beat him. I have to say, though, it takes a special kind of person to say what he said. As a Republican in Virginia, I'm appalled at his attitude.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger JBD said...

Nicole - great comments. Since I'm not from Virginia I haven't called Kilgore to express my displeasure at his arrogant statement, but if you (or any other readers in Virginia) would like to, the phone number for Kilgore campaign HQ is 804-421-9966. Fax is 804-421-9968. I looked on Kilgore's website to see if there's a way to contact the campaign via the web, but didn't find one. Somehow, that doesn't surprise me ...

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a info@jerrykilgore.com e-mail, which I am going to try. If nothing comes of that, I really definitely make a call.

It's interesting because today I was asked if I would be interested in helping his campaign. I've worked with the person who asked on previous campaigns. I don't think he understands why I said not at this time, but I just can't see myself helping Kilgore after his comments.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger JBD said...

Well done Nicole! Let us know if you get a response to your email, if you feel comfortable doing so. Good luck, I hope someone answers!

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kilgore was crowned the nominee long before June 14th. George Fitch (Mayor of Warrenton), who had basically no name recognition elsewhere in the state, ran against Kilgore. He got around 17/18% of the vote. I think, however, that the VA GOP has had Kilgore in mind for a very long time, and anyone else didn't have a shot because of it. That's part of the reason Russ Potts is running as an "Independent Republican."

I had not received the e-mail, but I don't receive e-mails from his campaign. I would love to see it, though, just out of curiosity.

For a long time, Potts' candidacy has caused both the Kilgore and Kaine campaigns to state that it would hurt the other side more than their own. However, as Larry Sabato (analyst from UVa) put it, by Kilgore saying he refuses to debate Potts he's saying he believes that Potts could hurt him more than hurt Kaine. Contradicting earlier statements.

I can't wait to see if I get a response to my e-mail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home