Monday, June 06, 2005

More Dems Pile on Dean

First it was Joe Biden and John Edwards. And tonight on "Hardball," several Centrist Democratic senators joined in the criticism of their party chairman's comments last week (I'm just catching the 11 p.m. re-air of the show, which is why I didn't get this up sooner).

Asked if he agreed with the comments, Arkansas' Mark Pryor said "I don't agree with what Howard Dean said." Ken Salazar (CO): "I think it was unfortunate that Howard Dean choose those words. ... I think he misspoke." Ben Nelson (NE): "That's a perfect example of why some of us drink decaffeinated coffee." Mary Landrieu (LA) also said she disagreed with Dean, but (and rightly so) noted the point of Dean's remarks, that we desperately need to take action to make voting a smoother, more efficient process each year.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger JBD said...

I agree, Andrei. The problem is not, however, gaining the support of the party's base. Dean and elected Dems (and Kerry last fall) had the support of the base. What they lacked (enough of) was crossover votes from the independents and Republicans. With spokesmen who are able to talk to those people without insulting them (and there are plenty of Dems out there who can do that) the Donkey has a real chance of becoming the party of common-sense Centrism that the GOP has left behind (personally of course I hope that the Republicans opt for this direction, but I'm not holding my breath for that).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home