Thursday, March 16, 2006

Boehlert to Announce Plans Tomorrow

As I mentioned earlier in the week, speculation is rife that upstate NY congressman and leading Republican centrist Sherwood Boehlert may be planning to retire. Boehlert will end the speculation tomorrow at 3 p.m. with an announcement at Utica's Union Station, upstate news outlets are reporting (Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin, Utica Observer Dispatch).

Boehlert told the president what his plans are earlier this week on board Air Force One, but played coy with the press yesterday: "I pretty much know what I'm going to say, and I've got to make sure I say it." Boehlert said he used a large legal pad to draw up lists of pros and cons to running again, adding "The list is long on both sides." He told reporters in Washington "I came to this town 42 years ago a starry-eyed youngster. That dream has come true. I'm living it." But, he said, he had to weigh the factors and come to a decision: "I can't play Hamlet forever."

I don't know what Boehlert's going to say, but his comments have me concerned, and I think at this point it could go either way. Needless to say, I'll be paying close attention to tomorrow's announcement.

Run, Sherry, Run!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home