Monday, July 24, 2006

Back in the Saddle

I have returned from a very relaxing week of vacation and will be returning to a semi-regular blogging schedule this week, time willing - although it'll probably take me a bit to get back into the swing of things. It's definitely weird coming back to the internet and cable after a week of getting all my news from network television and the occasional newspaper (not to mention the fact that I came to realize just how bereft of any substantive comment the network morning shows are). I still have scads of emails to get through, some of which I'm sure are about postable topics.

A few brief comments for now (in no particular order whatsoever):

- On the stem cell veto. Not a surprise, but certainly a disappointment. We can hope that the next president will have a more enlightened attitude when it comes to this important research area, and we can remember well the role this one has played.

- On Ralph Reed's loss in the Georgia lieutenant gubernatorial primary. It's about time GOP voters realized that the Abramoff scandal is a serious issue. This loss is undoubtedly as good for Georgia as it is for the Republican Party.

- On the Lieberman-Lamont primary. Wowsers, what a mess. I probably need say no more than that I stand firmly with the Bull Moose on this one. I may disagree with Joe Lieberman on some issues associated with the war in Iraq, but I think the attacks being leveled at him by Lamont and his blogospheric surrogates are really over the top.

- On the renewed Mideast violence. I think Hezbollah is getting exactly what it deserves, but I regret wholly the loss of civilian life and infrastructure. I hope that a suitable arrangement can be reached, but that must involve the disarmament of Hezbollah and a strong security presence in south Lebanon to maintain the integrity and safety of northern Israel.

- On the ABA report faulting the president for his use of "signing statements." Their conclusion that the Bush Administration's widespread and substantial use of these runs "contrary to the rule of law and our constitutional system of separation of powers" is one I entirely share. I hope that some of their recommendations will be considered.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Paul W said...

On the Lieberman-Lamont primary. Wowsers, what a mess. I probably need say no more than that I stand firmly with the Bull Moose on this one. I may disagree with Joe Lieberman on some issues associated with the war in Iraq, but I think the attacks being leveled at him by Lamont and his blogospheric surrogates are really over the top.

And what about Joe's attacks on Lamont and the Democratic voters of that state? At what point are the voters allowed to look at an incumbant and say "Dude, you don't represent us on the war, you don't represent us on financial issues anymore, you don't represent us when you side with a President we don't like, so you shouldn't represent us period"?
Lieberman isn't running on issues, he's running on the platform that he should stay in office, like it's his permanent job (it's not: Jefferson and the other Founders intended the political offices as temporary civic duties, this is why incumbancy has throttled the Republic). Why else is he contemplating running as an Independent should he fall in the primary?
Take a moment to look at the issues that are important to the voters of Conneticut. Take a moment to see if Lieberman has been responding adequately to those issues the way the voters would want them addressed. You should find, not only on the issue of Iraq, that Lieberman hasn't been representing his state for a good long while...

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Carol Gee said...

From your list, for me, the bad news from the Middle East was the most disturbing. Rubble, rubble, boil and bubble. However, the ABA Task Force's recommendations were heartening. It must be bad if that auguste bipartisan body has such a strong opinion. Welcome back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home