Friday, October 31, 2008

Eagleburger: Palin's Unprepared

Former Secretary of State Larry Eagleburger (and a McCain supporter) was on NPR's "Talk of the Nation" yesterday (audio here), and was asked about Sarah Palin's preparedness to be commander in chief.

Here's how Glenn Kessler of the Washington Post blogs his response (I agree with his characterization of Eagleburger's answer):

"'It is a very good question,' he said. He paused, and then added: 'I'm being facetious here. Look, I don't think -- of course not.

'I don't think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reins of the presidency,' he continued. 'I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it either. So the question, I think, is, can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president, heaven forbid that that ever takes place?'

Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be' -- Eagleburger paused here, searching for the right word -- 'adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year -- well, I hope not -- get us through whatever period.'" He added "And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."

McCain, asked about Eagleburger's comments this morning on "GMA," reportedly "smiled and chuckled," then said "I love Larry Eagleburger. Larry has never had a chance to meet Sarah."

I haven't met her either, but I know she's unqualified too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home