Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Unfortunate Departure

I learned this afternoon that one of my favorite senators, Jim Jeffords of Vermont, will retire after the current congressional session and not run for reelection in 2006. Jeffords, 70, cited his own health concerns and those of his wife as his main reasons for deciding against another campaign. "It is time to begin a new chapter, both for me personally and for the people of Vermont," said Jeffords at a South Burlington press conference. There have been questions about my health, and that is a factor as well. I am feeling the aches and pains that come when you reach 70."

Senator Jeffords, whose name causes some Republicans to sneer in derision even today, upset the balance of power in Washington four years ago when he left the GOP and became an independent. Jeffords cited the ultra-conservative tack of the Bush Administration and its "agenda that did not fit into what the average American wanted to see." I was probably one of the very few Republicans who applauded Jeffords' move in 2001, because at that point I was still hopeful that Bush & Co. would be able to learn from such an event and might actually take Jeffords' departure as a sign that they needed to return to the political center. Sadly, my hopes were horrifyingly misplaced, as we have seen time and time again.

While I fully respect Jeffords' decision to retire for the good of himself and the people of Vermont, I must confess that this is a worrisome event for centrist politics. Vermont's only congressman, Bernie Sanders, who ABC notes "all but declared himself a candidate for Jeffords' seat" within an hour of the senator's announcement, would be a much more liberal senator than Jeffords, and is hardly a centrist on the majority of issues. It will probably be hard for a Republican candidate, even a moderate, to beat Sanders if he runs.

Senator Jeffords has always been someone moderates could trust to stand up for his beliefs, regardless of cost. It's a shame to lose him. I wish he and his wife the very best of luck with their current health concerns, and I hope that both are able to stay active and continue to make their voices of reason heard for many years to come.

-- The New York Times has this article and also links to video of Senator Jeffords' announcement speech. The Washington Post provides this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home