Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bush to Return to DC

After a month of insistence that he could be just as effective in Crawford as in Washington, the White House announced today that President Bush will return to the White House on Wednesday, two days earlier than planned, in order to oversee coordination of federal cleanup efforts in the regions affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Good move. Not to be snarky, but I'm pleased to note that the unspeakable devastation unleashed by the hurricane prodded the president into cutting short his vacation, especially considering what was on his plate the last time such a step was taken. I just wish it hadn't been necessary in the first place. I still cannot believe the pictures coming out of the affected areas - it's like something from a Hollywood disaster movie, but watching these pictures, you know it's real suffering, real blood, sweat and tears. I'll repeat what I said earlier - please, give (link is to the Red Cross) if you're able.

It may be symbolic, but I'm glad to know that the president is going back to Washington to deal with this. I wish I could do more.

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tks for your pitch for contributions to (Red Cross?) disaster relief. Actually, you are doing "something" to provide relief just by mentioning the need for funds.

Not to put too fine a point on it or anything, but as a Red Cross Disaster Volunteer, I'll be in Montgomery, AL tomorow evening enroute Florida or wherever I'm needed. I've had the training, and have the time to commit to three weeks at a whack for disaster relief. It was the same at 9/11 and the hurricanes last year. If you (generic you) qualify ( have time to commit)get trained by the Red Cross - its free - and be ready to go...wherever you're needed. Its a real kick.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger JBD said...

Breanne - We did know this was coming, but as Gov. Blanco said tonight, what's happened was "beyond our worst fears."

FEMA and other agencies were ready and are responding effectively and as efficiently as they can. I think whatever could have been done beforehand was done ... just think, without that mandatory evacuation order in New Orleans, the loss of life there could have been even more horrific than it appears to be.

Yes, I'm glad Bush decided to go back to DC - but I think it's those who are on the ground who are making the most important contributions, much more than the symbolic act of the president. They deserve our pride and our support, as I wrote above.

You can never prepare sufficiently for things like this. Would that we could.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home