Thursday, August 18, 2005

Watching Gaza

I've been tuned to CNN this morning, watching Israeli Defense Force troops forcibly remove Jewish settlers and protesters from several synagogues in Gaza. As I wrote earlier this week, I agree with the withdrawal policy, so I approve of the steps taken by the government here. I have also met with and spoken to members of these settlement communities, and I recognize the depth of belief and feeling for their cause.

IDF troops have been conducting themselves with the utmost professionalism - doing their job, even though some do not agree with the pullout policy and have tears in their eyes as they haul their fellow countrymen onto buses for evacuation. Through rocks, sand, punches, and screams, the soldiers are calmly going about their work, offering water bottles to protesters even as they are harassed as "Nazis."

I hope that the evacuations continue to proceed as peacefully as possible, and that this step will improve the long-term chances for peace for Israel and Palestine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home