Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bush Threatens Veto: Senate Rolls Eyes

That "emergency spending bill" that I wrote about yesterday was the subject of a veto threat from the White House yesterday. "If the president is ultimately presented a bill that provides more than $92.2 billion, exclusive of funding for the president's plan to address pandemic influenza, he will veto the bill," according to a statement released by the Administration.

While budget hawks applauded the threat (Rep. Mike Pence: "This legislation has become a fruit basket of spending unrelated to our war effort and Katrina. I say plainly, 'Mr. President, veto this bill.'"), given the Administration's track record on controlling spending (or rather, severe and acute lack thereof), let's just say I'll believe it when I see it. And I don't expect to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home