Friday, December 21, 2007

Depends on What the Meaning of the Word "Saw" Is, eh Mitt?

[I see in things I've been reading since I started typing this post that others are using the same headline, but it has to be done].

The Boston Globe confirms today that Mitt Romney did not actually see (with his eyes, anyway) his father march with Martin Luther King, Jr. during the 1960s ... and now in a bit of grammatical contortion not seen since the days of "depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is", Romney says he was using the word "saw" in a "figurative sense."

Among other recent retellings of the story, Romney said in his 6 December "Faith in America" speech "I saw my father march with Martin Luther King." On "Meet the Press" last Sunday it was "My dad marched with Martin Luther King." But in fact Romney's father never actually marched with King, and Romney's facing questions about his veracity in making the comments. His answers are pretty remarkable:

"I've tried to be as accurate as I can be. If you look at the literature, if you look at the dictionary, the term 'saw' includes being aware of in the sense I've described. It's a figure of speech and very familiar, and it's very common. And I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort." ... "I'm an English literature major. When we say I saw the Patriots win the World Series, it doesn't necessarily mean you were there."

Um, Mitt, the Patriots play football (and hence, the Superbowl). Even I know that. And seriously? "As accurate as I can be"? This is what verbs are for, Mr. English Literature Major.

'Supported'? Fine.

'Believed in'? Good enough.

'Saw'? 'Marched with'? No. Sorry.

At least he's given up on the line he used in a Boston Herald interview way back in 1978 (proving that the recollection problems and/or verbal gymnastics are no new occurrence): "My father and I marched with Martin Luther King Jr. through the streets of Detroit." Mitt's campaign emailed the Boston Globe yesterday denying that one too: "Mitt Romney did not march with Martin Luther King."

Mitt, this is ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home