Sunday, January 27, 2008

Obama's SC Speech

Barack Obama is almost always a good speaker. But his South Carolina victory speech gave me chills. Watch it. Or read it.

"... This election is about the past vs. the future. It's about whether we settle for the same divisions and distractions and drama that passes for politics today or whether we reach for a politics of common sense and innovation, a politics of shared sacrifice and shared prosperity.

There are those who will continue to tell us that we can't do this, that we can't have what we're looking for, that we can't have what we want, that we're peddling false hopes. But here is what I know. I know that when people say we can't overcome all the big money and influence in Washington, I think of that elderly woman who sent me a contribution the other day, an envelope that had a money order for $3.01 along with a verse of scripture tucked inside the envelope. So don't tell us change isn't possible. That woman knows change is possible.

When I hear the cynical talk that blacks and whites and Latinos can't join together and work together, I'm reminded of the Latino brothers and sisters I organized with and stood with and fought with side by side for jobs and justice on the streets of Chicago. So don't tell us change can't happen.

When I hear that we'll never overcome the racial divide in our politics, I think about that Republican woman who used to work for Strom Thurmond, who is now devoted to educating inner city-children and who went out into the streets of South Carolina and knocked on doors for this campaign. Don't tell me we can't change.

Yes, we can. Yes, we can change. Yes, we can.

Yes, we can heal this nation. Yes, we can seize our future. And as we leave this great state with a new wind at our backs and we take this journey across this great country, a country we love, with the message we carry from the plains of Iowa to the hills of New Hampshire, from the Nevada desert to the South Carolina coast, the same message we had when we were up and when we were down, that out of many, we are one; that while we breath, we will hope.

And where we are met with cynicism and doubt and fear and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of the American people in three simple words -- yes, we can."

3 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was an awesome speech. I hope it comes true!

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was masterful in the usual senses of inspirational rhetoric, but also, in this case, in turning the attacks of the Clintons back on them -- using them to bolster the basic themes of his campaign.

That said, I haven't exactly decided yet if Obama is likely to successfully administer a government, and if he wants to lead us in the right direction. I get the feeling from your posts that you're in roughly the same place.

I blogged my reactions to the speech at Centerfield, by the way.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More evidence that Obama is good at saying nothing well. Wake me up when he says something that is actually controversial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home