Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Two Things

1. In case you missed it, we heard three words pass the lips of President Bush that I think it's fair to say many of us expected never to hear: "I take responsibility." In a press availability with Iraqi president Jalal Talabani, Bush said of the Katrina response, "Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government and to the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility." Going further, Bush added "Are we capable of dealing with a severe attack? That’s a very important question and it’s in the national interest that we find out what went on so we can better respond."

It's a horrifying shame that it took the aftermath of Katrina (and way too many days) to prompt the president into making a statement like this. But I hope now that it's out there, we'll be able to act on it and make sure that we are prepared in the future. As I've written, I think that requires an independent investigation.

President Bush is going to make a prime-time speech on Thursday night at 9 p.m. from New Orleans. More news there, or not? We'll see.

2. I've been catching up a bit on the Roberts hearings, which you can watch live on C-SPAN3's Internet feed. The New York Times is providing a running transcript here. So far, I'd say, so good (I'm not all the way through the morning's transcript but I haven't seen anything yet that I find particularly troubling - if there's anything there I'm missing, let me know).

4 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Jes said...

flock of flying pigs...that's all I can say about that...When I saw the headlines, I assumed it was Daily Show or Onion...

He needs to take responsibility for a lot of things. However me thinks, that this mature statement might lead to more immature and rediculous actions...like promoting the privatization of orgs like FEMA

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger pacatrue said...

I was indeed pleased to see Bush's comments as well. First time in a long time I have had any - well, admiration is a strong word but you get the idea. Wow, Bush actually thinking he made a mistake! I am waiting for the Republican talking heads to jump all over him for his wishy-washyness by letting actual facts influence his opinion. Of course, Bush's actual mistakes were made a long time ago - cronyism, a willingness to isolate himself among yesmen, loyalty above all other virtues, etc. My guess is those are things that he won't be fixing.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jes said...

exactly Pusboy. Use Katrina to push agenda

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Tom - doubts and all said...

My post this morning in its entirety:

I'm tired, already, of seeing and hearing everywhere that George Bush has taken blame or admitted fault. Headlines like this are flat out lying.

Bush has said he is "responsible" for the actions of the federal government. He is finally confessing that he has a clue about his job description. He has not been held to account or said he did anything wrong. Maybe Thursday night, just maybe, he will be honest. I'm not optimistic.

Come on people! The constitution tells us that the President is responsible for the operation of the Excecutive Branch.

Move along. There's no news here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home