Sunday, July 17, 2005

I'm Sick of Rovegate

The right has prejudged the case and concluded Rove's done nothing wrong and even deserves praise. The left has prejudged the case and wants him hauled off to jail (or fired, at the very least). The facts don't seem to matter to either side. We don't know yet who's right, we don't even know for sure what really went on. But everyone's still talking about it. I've been trying to "cover the coverage" as we moved forward, but even that's getting to be practically impossible.

Today's Sunday shows were pretty much given over to this story, with the exception of "Fox News Sunday," which I covered below. On "Face the Nation," I expected that Senators Schumer and Graham would at least be able to discuss the Supreme Court nomination, but they each got only a single question on that, since the rest of their time was taken up by questions about Rove. While the Supreme Court questions also have to be a bit speculative right now, since we haven't gotten a nominee yet, I happen to think that the choice of a Supreme Court justice is of rather more long-term importance to the country than bloviating about Rove.

I'm not going to impose an official moratorium on myself barring further comment on the Rove stuff - but I'm going to do my best in the coming days to focus on other things that I believe are of more importance. Once the grand jury investigation is complete, and all the facts in this case come out and are based on more than unnattributed sources in newspaper articles, I will feel much more comfortable discussing the issue than I do at the present time. I hope that the White House will start being more forthcoming with answers to questions on this topic, because transparency and openness are the best response to matters like this - continued stonewalling will only make things worse. And I hope that both Republicans and Democrats will understand that prejudging the results of a federal investigation is not a productive way to score long-term political points.

4 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Heiuan said...

Thank you. I'm getting tired of the stale stormwinds that are blowing from both sides.

Can we just wait for the special prosecutor to finish his investigation?

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur.
There's an adage "Reporters and Columnists love controversy". Although the Rove-Wilson/Plume soap opera is addicting, it is irrelevant to the issues of the day. Your post highlighting Senator Susan Collins admonishing Sen. Coleman/Frist/Reid was right on the money ... the politicians don't get it and the pundits can't help but feed the frenzy by continuing to promote it.
Will the evening newscasts tonight highlight Time's cover story and the Sunday newsshows or the continued numerous attacks in Baghdad ? I have been surprised since Tom Brokaw has left NBC that many times the day's events in Iraq are not mentioned.
If I want intelligent discussion of issues that matter ( UN reform/Bolton, Social Security, fiscal deficits, etc. ), I will continue to monitor Charging Rino. Thanks for a great blog ... very encompassing and enlightening.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger cakreiz said...

Same opinion here, heiuan. The spin machines bankrupt the entire process (and I love politics!) If you're on defense- poison the waters early so that people turn away; on offense, do it early so that folks prejudge. I can't imagine that this is what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

On Watergate's 30th anniversary, Newsweek speculated the spin machines would have radically altered the eventual outcome. I have no doubt that's true. If spin consistently supplants truth in all matters political, we're all in trouble. (Sad to say, I think we're there already.)

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark a date on your calendar for six months hence. When you look back, you'll be amazed to see how little the Rove kerfuffle mattered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home